Wednesday 30 January 2013

Inbox

Inbox is the third film I have watched for the E-Learning and Digital Cultures MOOC #edcmooc


The question posed by our course leaders is:

"Depending on how you interpret the relationship between the two main characters, and the ending, you might argue that this is a utopian account, or a dystopian one - what do you think, and why?"

Firstly, I would like to state that in all cases, the dichotomy of utopia and dystopia annoys me.
There are varying degrees and contexts that must be considered. Certainly, in some aspects, for some people, present society is a dystopia. For others, it is utopia.
I can pretty well eat whatever I want, whenever I want. For some people, I live in a food utopia.
I live in Tasmania. For some people that is a dystopia. (more fool them!)

I will not attempt to describe all of the aspects of this film - that has been done expertly by many others. What I will do is present my opinion with respect to the posed question.

I think that this is a utopian account. It doesn't represent the future, simply a metaphor for the present.

It highlights that simple human interaction is all we really need in order to be happy. The medium through which we choose to communicate with one another is unimportant - it is how we use it.
In the movie, the technology is magical - as do many real technologies seem - this is inconsequential.
What is important is that people can communicate. Simple things, short notes, nothing too in-depth. The ultimate end-goal, however, is to meet in person - it is then that relationships can fully blossom.
For a lot of people communicating with the various social networks today, this is still one of the goals for people that they build friendships with.
When the "technology" breaks in the film, the characters still endeavour to meet. They have hope. They are rewarded.


Some other points:

What was happening to the notes/items/information that went into the bags before it got to the other side?
Are people questioning what is happening in between?
Who has access to that information, and what are they doing with it? Is it really private?
Do you care?



That will do...


No comments:

Post a Comment