Thursday 31 January 2013

Thursday

The final film I have viewed for Week 1 of #edcmooc is Thursday.



Once again, I am not going to compose a massive essay... If I did that for every stimulus in the course I would be here forever!

Questions posed:

What message is the film presenting about technology? What losses and gains are described? Who or what has ‘agency’ in this film?

It seems that this film is presenting a somewhat neutral representation of technology.
Sure, it is saying that technology is immersed in our home and work lives (the office scene, the alarm clock, the constant mobile phone reliance, the entertainment elevator), and that it is fragile (bird disruption, hand scanner), but overall the view is quite neutral.
In terms of losses, the film depicts somewhat of a loss of creativity and individuality - for some this would be dystopian - for others, utopian.
In terms of gains, the film depicts a simplicity of existence.

One of the interesting things I noticed was the scene at the train station. The man seemed to blame his hand for the issue, rather than the technology. I think this says something about our attitudes toward technology... Are they changing? I know that if something goes wrong with technology for me, I definitely blame the technology! Many of my colleagues, however, blame themselves.

Hmmm.... Should I be more like them? 

Who/what has agency? All of the characters have agency to some level. Though there is an underlying feeling that there is someone/something bigger that is the main driving force (employer/government?) that is potentially shaping the decisions and actions - either by social factors or physical factors (e.g. the bird has the free will to choose to make a nest, but makes it with electrical cabling).

Is this the metaphor for technological determinism? Maybe... Plenty of food for thought.


No comments:

Post a Comment